Saturday, September 22, 2012
MzTeachuh: A Legacy of Hope Ongoing Tweets of the Day 9/22/12...: Not all equipment has to be high tech. 1.Teaching with Dry Erase Boards: Interactive, Effective and Fun! (Part I) http://www.teachhu...
|Not all equipment has to be high tech.|
1.Teaching with Dry Erase Boards: Interactive, Effective and Fun! (Part I)
2. Video: What Is a 504 Plan?
3. Childhood Immunizations &Vaccinations
4. Little Bit Therapeutic Riding Center
5. I Just Found Out My Child Has LD…Now What?
6. Being a mom taught 'Won't Back Down' star Maggie Gyllenhaal 'secret things'
7. Maria Shriver Celebrates her Mother's Legacy of Hope
8. Eunice Kennedy Shriver has been a leader in the worldwide struggle to improve and enhance the lives of individuals with intellectual disabilities.
|Eunice Kennedy Schriver dancing with handicapped kids at a 'Danceathon' benefit.|
MzTeachuh: Parents, Teachers and Kids, Oh My! Tweets of the M...: Tech is cool! 1. Back to School: What's Next for Youth with Disabilities http://choosework.net/blog/jsp/blog.jsp?post_id=100 2....
|Tech is cool!|
1. Back to School: What's Next for Youth with Disabilities
2. Insomnia and Children
Childhood Sleep Basics
|Don't you want to go sing a lullaby to this little one?|
2a. Slideshow: Top Reasons Your Child Can't Sleep, Including You
3. The best kept secret in special education
4. The Natural Emotional Cycle for Parents of Kids with LD
|Now! Practice Pachelbel's Canon! It is the most beautiful music in the world!|
Do tigers really raise their young that way?
http://www.education.com/slideshow/tiger-mom/?cid=80. 6. How Parents Can Be Advocates for Their Children
7. Helping Struggling Readers
8. Reading Help
|Can't miss this fun opportunity!|
Friday, September 21, 2012
MzTeachuh: Learning for All Tweets of the Day 9/21/12: This isn't meant to be used for a diagnosis--just guidelines. 1. Autism Spectrum Disorder Global Connections https://www.facebook.com...
|This isn't meant to be used for a diagnosis--just guidelines.|
1. Autism Spectrum Disorder Global Connections
2. Never leave a child alone during a meltdown
3. KidLit Election 2012: Democratic primary results are in!
A message from Charlotte A. Cavatica, Democratic presidential candidate
Salutations! With my long history of literacy outreach, it’s no surprise that I am a lover of words. A brighter future for our nation depends on a single, exceptional word: E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N. We all have to pick up a living somehow. Human, pig, or spider, one finds it far easier to attain an occupation both fulfilling [...]
4. Hail to the Chief
MzTeachuh: Fall Fun, Teachers and Parents Tweets of the Day 9...: I want to play, too! This never stops being fun. 1. 45+ fall sensory play activities http://nurturestore.co.uk/fall-sensory-play-ac...
MzTeachuh: Not Backing Down Tweets of the Morning 9/21/12: "Won't Back Down" movie out Sept. 28 1. Won't Back Down Grassroots Took Kit http://wbdtoolkit.com/ 2. What Happens in Schools Today ...
|"Won't Back Down" movie out Sept. 28|
1. Won't Back Down Grassroots Took Kit
2. What Happens in Schools Today Can Make a Difference in the Success of Our Nation Tomorrow
Mind/Shift, I love you. You are so fascinating.
3. Teaching Social and Emotional Skills in Schools
4. EEOC Releases Tools to Educate Young Workers about Workplace Discrimination
5. Speech tips for kids with speech delays (from a very creative speech therapist)
6.Video: Effective Strategies for Parent-Teacher Communication
|Going on an adventure?|
Hobbit trailer 2 released: See 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' scenes
The Hobbit comes out December 14.
Thursday, September 20, 2012
|Evaluations are kind of nerve wracking.|
1. Teacher Evaluation from a Teacher's Perspective
2. 10 Ways to Read More to Your Child
3. Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
4. Quick Look: Election 2012 Collection Resources for Teachers
5. Emailing Parents: How to Avoid Unintended Consequences
6. Teachers Unions' Rise: A Look At Union Impact Over The Years
7. Research Links 'Responsive' Teaching to Academic Gains
" Social and emotional learning programs focus on teaching students how to manage emotions and their behaviors and interactions with others. Some do so through direct lessons, but Responsive Classroom focuses on teacher language and modeling expectations, describing itself as an approach to learning rather than a program."
MzTeachuh: No Bullying, Also Looking For the Future Tweets of t...: This should go without saying. 1. Stop the Bullying Video Challenge http://stopbullying.challenge.gov/ 2. Video: Bu...
|This should go without saying.|
1. Stop the Bullying Video Challenge
2. Video: Bullying In Their Words
3. Video: How Can I Ease My Child's Transition from High School to College?
4. 1 In 7 Young People Are Not Working Or In School: Measure Of America Study
5. Getting Access to Assistive Technology in College
6. Using Books for Anti-Bullying Instruction
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
MzTeachuh: Games, Someone Say Games? Tweets of the Day 9/19/12...: Two girls to one boy, amazingly innovative ratio. 1. Where Do Educational Games Come From? http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/ 2. Usi...
|Two girls to one boy, amazingly innovative ratio.|
1. Where Do Educational Games Come From?
2. Using Games in the ELL Classroom, Part I
3. Assessing and learning the letters of the alphabet
4. Learn to Read with Rhymes
5. Video: How Can I Ease My Child's Transition from High School to College?
6. Finding the Right Book for Your Child
7. What is Education? Project Invitation
"So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, please go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall." Happy birthday Roald Dahl! In your honor, re-purposed spice racks!
Maybe now we might say computer time out.
1. Sound It Out Assessing and learning the letters of the alphabet
2. New exams discriminate against dyslexics
3. Invest In Adult Literacy: Low Adult Literacy as a Public Health Issue
Mind/Shift, I love you. You are so fascinating.
4. Survey: Parents Prefer Reading Print Books to Young Kids
|Print books are 3 dimensional and they smell good, too.|
MzTeachuh: The Hobbit Second Breakfast, on 9/21/12: http://www.hobbitsecondbreakfast.com/ Hobbit Seed Cake Ingredients: 250g Plain Flour ½ tsp baking powder Pinch of salt 150g...
- 250g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150g soft butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp caraway seeds
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp orange zest
Cooking time: 50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- Turn the oven on to 180C / 350F
- Grease and line with greaseproof paper a 1LB loaf tin
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the sugar and butter (soft) and cream together until they are a pale colour. Add in the eggs one at a time and add in the vanilla extract and orange zest ensuring it is mixed thoroughly
- Add in the dry ingredients a bit at a time and alternate adding in the milk until all the ingredients are added.
- Gently stir in the caraway seeds
- Using a spatula, spoon the mixture into the greased 1LB loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked
- Once ready remove from the oven and leave in the tin for a further 10 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool
- Serve in slices and if desired spread with butter
1. New teacher scholarships in England include SEN support staff for first time
2. Invest In Adult Literacy: Low Adult Literacy as a Public Health Issue
3. 25 Ways To Use Twitter To Improve Your Professional Development
4. High School Graduation Rate For Black Males Trails White Students
5. My Child Has LD—Isn’t He Automatically Eligible for Services?
6. Tips for Creating a Welcoming Classroom Environment
7. Launching Young Readers series Empowering Parents An engaging PBS show for parents of beginning readers
|Mayor Rahm and kids who are in school today!|
1. Chicago Parents Elated School Strike Over, Kids Going Back To Class
2.Chicago students return to class as strike ends
3. Chicago teachers vote to return to classroom
4. Attack on Urban Prep Charter harms students and teachers
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
MzTeachuh: Teachers: Always Learning Tweets of the Day 9/18/1...: Every day we improve. 1. Back to School: Rules and Routines in the Classroom http://www.edutopia.org/blog/rules-routines-school-ye...
Every day we improve.
1. Back to School: Rules and Routines in the Classroom
2. Virginia Children Excused From School Last Year Due To Religious Exemptions From Education
3. Singapore's 21st-Century Teaching Strategies (Education Everywhere Series)
4. “Teaching Channel Presents” Premieres with The New Teacher Experience
5. How Parents Can Be Advocates for Their Children
6. Public Perception of Teachers
MzTeachuh: Chicago Teachers' Strike Suspended For Now: Open tomorrow? 1. Chicago teachers vote to return to classroom http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-teachers-vote-return-classroom-22215...
1. Chicago teachers vote to return to classroom
2. Chicago teachers end strike, classes resume Wednesday
3. Chicago teachers suspend strike, classes to resume
4. Chicago teachers suspend strike, classes to resume Wednesday
MzTeachuh: Seusspiration And Other Thoughts Tweets of the Day...: Thank you, Theodore. This might mean you! 1. Tuesday's Trick of the Trade: Finicky Eaters http://autism-cafe.blogspot.com/2012/09/t...
|Thank you, Theodore.|
This might mean you!
1. Tuesday's Trick of the Trade: Finicky Eaters
2. How to Thrive as a Special Needs Family and Community
I love you, Mind/Shift. You are so fascinating.
3. This election, make your voice heard
Take the challenge. Share your story.
4. Free Worksheets & Printables
5. Color Your Mutt
|Who you callin' a mutt?|
Monday, September 17, 2012
|A tiger shakes dry after a swim in an outstanding submission to the 2012 National Geographic Photo Contest. See more of our editors' picks and don't forget to submit your photo: http://on.natgeo.com/PKrRAk|
MzTeachuh: Get Thyself To The Library! in Time for 'Read for ...: Quick! Jump in and Get Your Books in Time for Read for the Record http://blog.firstbook.org/2012/09/17/quick-jump-in-and-get-your-books...
This book is also available at Target.
MzTeachuh: Tech, Teachers, and Obama Tweets of the Morning 9/...: Constitution Day (United States) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_%28United_States%29 1. Worth Repeating: 5 Sensory Wa...
Constitution Day (United States)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_%28United_States%29
1. Worth Repeating: 5 Sensory Ways to Celebrate Fruits and Veggies More Matters Month
2. The iPad goes back to school
3. Education is for Empowerment
4. Acoustic for Autism
5. Dyslexia Action and RNIB launch Load2Learn
6. Understanding bullying
7. 7 Solutions to ADD Sleep Problems
How to manage when symptoms of ADD/ADHD cause sleep issues.
8. Teachers' Expectations Can Influence How Students Perform
9. Ending the academic summer slide
10. Authors Panel Kicks-Off Autism Awareness Month
11. “I wanted many people to be able to relate to the possibility of doing something heroic.” ~ Maggie Gyllenhaal, star of Won't Back Down opens up to Nicole Sperling of the Latimes for the fall movie preview. http://po.st/4rugJt
13. Autism Friendly Youth Organizations
|Chicago! a thorn in his flesh?|
14. Chicago Teachers Strike: Is It Hurting Obama's Campaign?
15. BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life)
School's up and running...that means it's time for BELL After School! Looking forward to new partnerships with schools in Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Detroit, and New York City!
|Yes, young man, conquer that long division!|
Sunday, September 16, 2012
MzTeachuh: Good Morning, Its Monday! Tweets of the Day 9/17/1...: Pick me, Teacher, pick me! 1. Start the School Year Strong: Helpful Tips from a School Principal http://www.ncld.org/ld-insights/entry...
|Pick me, Teacher, pick me!|
1. Start the School Year Strong: Helpful Tips from a School Principal
2. 6 Videos On Globalization And Technology That Will Blow Your Mind
3. 12 Must-Have Back to School Printables
4. The Mobile Classroom
5. Join the National Forum on Disability Issues, September 28th
6. Hall Talk: Is the Chicago Teachers Strike the ‘Super Bowl’ of Ed Reform?
MzTeachuh: Mayor Rahm Emmanuel: Teacher Strike is 'Illegal': Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel believes the continuing teacher strike is illegal Just when you think all will be well in Chicago schools.....
|Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel believes the continuing teacher strike is illegal|
Just when you think all will be well in Chicago schools....
1. Rahm: Teacher Strike is 'Illegal'
2. Mayor Rahm Emanuel to striking Chicago teachers: See you in court
3. Chicago teachers strike to enter second week
4. Rahm Emanuel Is Over This Teacher's Strike
5. Union opts to continue Chicago teachers strike; mayor takes fight to court
6. Chicago teachers extend strike, mayor seeks court order
MzTeachuh: Sure And Steady Wins Spec. Ed. Tweets of the Day 9/16/12: That hare better look out! Parents and Gen. Ed. teachers-- you may find helpful hints in these links as you approach Special Ed. kid...
|That hare better look out!|
Parents and Gen. Ed. teachers-- you may find helpful hints in these links as you approach Special Ed. kids. Teachers--actually, these tips are good for the lower third achievers of your classes whether they are Sec. Ed. or not.
Persistent, systematic application. Relentless kindness. That'll do it. With a dash of innovation, and a frosting of creativity. Remember, they are all your kids.
1. Learning Disabilities Association of AmericaWith four to six percent of all students classified as having specific learning disabilities (SLD) in our nation’s public schools, every teacher can expect to find students with learning disabilities in the classroom. Success for these students requires a focus on individual achievement, individual progress, and individual learning. Despite obstacles, recent research tells us that we can teach these students how to learn. We can put them into a position to compete!
2. Understanding Learning Disabilities and ADHD
Social/Emotional Aspects of Learning Disabilities
3. Teaching Children with Learning Disabilities
4. NCLD’s Survey of Public Perceptions of Learning Disabilities
5. How to Teach Learning Disabled Children to Read
6. Set Expectations with a Back to School Social Story
|....that's with the correct educational team, that is.|