Saturday, October 6, 2012
MzTeachuh: Hispanic Heritage Month: Gloria Estefan: Gloria Estefan at the White House 2009. Gloria Estefan is a very successful singer in English and Spanish. She has a lovely family, and...
|Gloria Estefan at the White House 2009.|
Gloria Estefan is a very successful singer in English and Spanish. She has a lovely family, and says her husband of over thirty years was her 'first boyfriend and only boyfriend.' They have two chidlren. Gloria was seriously injured in a tour bus crash, but within a year had totally recovered and was back performing.
How much fun is this music? And dancing! Thank you Miami Sound Machine and Gloria.
GLORIA ESTEFAN - CONGA(LIVE 1988)
MzTeachuh: Help! And Interesting Tech Info Tweets of the Day 1...: We can all use some help now and again. 1. 10 Helpful Dyslexia Resources http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dyslexia/he...
We can all use some help now and again.
1. 10 Helpful Dyslexia Resources
2. 5 Reasons to Use Digital Textbooks
3. 6 Apps You Don’t Want to Miss
4. Top Tip 06-10-12
Developmental Coordination Disorder (Dyspraxia) & Dyslexia Support
5. Start with a "Do Now"
Grades 6-12, All Subjects, Structure
6. Edutopia Weekly Giveaway
8. 20+ Tips From The Most Effective Online Teachers
9. Google Announces 100 Live Hangouts For Teachers Around The World
MzTeachuh: Hispanic Heritage Month: Roberto Clemente: Roberto Clemente, Major League Baseball Roberto Clemente was outstanding in his sport, humble, and gave of himself to help the needy. H...
|Roberto Clemente, Major League Baseball|
Roberto Clemente was outstanding in his sport, humble, and gave of himself to help the needy. He died in a plane crash while on his way to deliver supplies to the victims of the massive earthquake in Nicaragua in 1972.
|Roberto Clemente Quotes Quotes From & About Roberto Clemente|
|Quotes From Roberto Clemente|
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
"I am convinced that God wanted me to be a baseball player. I was born to play baseball."
"I am more valuable to my team hitting .330 than swinging for home runs."
"I dedicated the hit (his 3,000th) to the Pittsburgh fans and to the people in Puerto Rico and to one man (Roberto Marin) in particular. The one man who carried me around for weeks looking for a scout to sign me."
"I felt kind of bashful (when the fans went crazy). I'm a very quiet, shy person, although you writers might not believe because I shout sometimes."
"I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all he had to give."
"When I put on my uniform, I feel I am the proudest man on earth."
"Why does everyone talk about the past? All that counts is tomorrow's game."
MzTeachuh: Fun and Serious Tweets of the Morning 10//12: Igor's favorite I love all the creative ways we can enjoy food. ...
I love all the creative ways we can enjoy food.
Feds Receive Record Number of Complaints About Special Education
Evaluating ELLs for Special Needs a Challenge
What It Really Boils Down To
Fun Ways to Study
Friday, October 5, 2012
MzTeachuh: School And The Real World Tweets of the Day 10/6/1...: School/World? photo by Tina Barseghian Spotlighted Article from Mind/Shift. Should We Connect School Life to Real Life? http://bl...
|School/World? photo by |
Spotlighted Article from Mind/Shift.
Should We Connect School Life to Real Life?
"Our students are capable of doing authentic work that adds to the abundance in ways that can make the world a better, richer place."
1. 5 Skills for Blended-Learning Teachers
2. Students and Parents Debrief on Their First Social Media Summer Program
3. How Technology Is Powering Academic Success [Infographic]
4. 4 Tools to Help You Stay Calm with Your Difficult Child
|You're welcome, education.com|
Sponsored by the United Nations.
|Yes, that is so. http://register.firstbook.org/?sc=rbpage|
Take a stand for teachers!
World Teachers' Day 2012: Take a stand for teachers!
World Teachers' Day
Taylor Mali: Miracle Workers
Humor, Celebrating Teachers
|Apples to eat, not to process. Yummy.|
For Special Education Teacher, 'Every Day Is Precious'
|Thank you, UN.|
MzTeachuh: Hispanic Heritage Month: Bartolomé de las Casas: Bartolomé de las Casas, Protector of the Indians Not all Spanish in the new world were conquistadors. He has been mentioned for saintho...
Bartolomé de las Casas, Protector of the Indians
Not all Spanish in the new world were conquistadors. He has been mentioned for sainthood in the Catholic Church.
1. Bartolomé de las Casas
2. Bartoleme de Las Casas, Brief Account of the Devastation of the Indies. (1542)http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41docs/02-las.html
3. Bartolome de las Casas: father of liberation theology
4. Here is info on the current human rights' efforts in Mexico named after the Padre.
Human Rights Center
Welcome to the Frayba website. Here you can find information on the current human rights situation in Chiapas. It is continuously updated with reports denouncing human rights abuses, including those that affect indigenous peoples and their communities, of repression and of impunity. In this way, the website as a whole serves an archive of reports and bulletins telling the story of the armed conflict in Chiapas, and the progression of indigenous organizations in their struggle for freedom of choice as people with dignity. Thank you for visiting and showing solidarity with this struggle.
MzTeachuh: Hispanic Heritage Month: Sonia Sotomayor: Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor with her parents as a baby. This quote demonstrates humility; although I do not be...
|Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Justice|
|Sotomayor with her parents as a baby.|
This quote demonstrates humility; although I do not believe Justice Sotomayor is ordinary. To be on the Supreme Court you must be brilliant and persistent.
"I am an ordinary person who has been blessed with extraordinary opportunities and experiences."
2. Sonia Sotomayor
3. Sotomayor adds celebrity to Supreme Court
‘Wise Latina woman’ is famous before making a major decision as a justice
4. Sotomayor, a Trailblazer and a Dreamer
MzTeachuh: Hispanic Heritage Month: Jose Hernandez of Califor...: Jose Hernandez, running for Congress in California, former astronaut and farm worker. "The son of Mexican immigrants, Hernandez has ma...
|Jose Hernandez, running for Congress in California, former astronaut and farm worker.|
"The son of Mexican immigrants, Hernandez has made an impression on progressive Democrats for his strong support of the DREAM Act and advocacy for middle class families. His work with NASA is a central narrative in his campaign.'I went from plowshares to the stars,' Hernandez said in October upon announcing his campaign."
2. Jose M. Hernandez
3. Former Astronaut Jose Hernandez Runs For Congress
4. NASA astronaut to Latino students: Anything is possible
5. Sons of farmworkers vie for seats in Congress
Congressional campaigns by the children of farmworkers point to Latinos' growing political clout in California's rural areas.
6. Astronaut Jose Hernandez Loses to Farmer in Congressional Race
MzTeachuh: Specific Solutions for Teachers Tweets of the Day ...: “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”Seuss 1. For Special Education Teacher, 'Ever...
|“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”Seuss|
1. For Special Education Teacher, 'Every Day Is Precious'
2. School Readiness: What Will It Take To Improve Student Preparedness In Mississippi? Q&A With Danny Spreitler
3. Learning to Overcome Fear is Difficult for Teens
4. Homework Survival Guide: Special Needs Edition
5.What Exactly IS Sensory Processing Disorder?
6. Seven Facts About Learning Disabilities and Written Expression
7. 3 Data Collection Tips for Your Most Challenging Students
8. Quick Guide to Cooperative Learning
Thursday, October 4, 2012
MzTeachuh: National Poetry Day--and Prosaic Tweets, Too Tweet...: The less traveled road, always Robert Frost It is National Poetry Day. I have included the above a poem be...
MzTeachuh: MzTeachuh: Hey, Teach! Tweets of the Morning 10/4/...: MzTeachuh: Hey, Teach! Tweets of the Morning 10/4/12 : I think that's the way it is for all of us. 1. Chicago Teachers Union Votes To A...
|The less traveled road, always|
It is National Poetry Day. I have included this poem because it influences millions of folks even if they don't like poetry.
The following are songs that have used famous poets' words. It is a fine line between poetry and music. Enjoy.
1. “‘Hope’ is the Thing with Feathers” by Emily Dickinson, from The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
Song: “Little Bird” by Annie Lennox
http://literaryjukebox.brainpickings.org/post/30980020261 2. T. S. Eliot in Four Quartets
http://literaryjukebox.brainpickings.org/post/30980020261 2. T. S. Eliot in Four Quartets
Song: “I Just Wait” by Paloma Faith http://literaryjukebox.brainpickings.org/post/3120227297417 Songs Based on the Poetry of e. e. cummingshttp://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/08/28/tin-hat-e-e-cummings/
3. 31 Autumn Crafts, Pumpkin Recipes, & Halloween Decorations
4. Enter daily to win
10 POCKET POSTER SETS
in Science, Math or
5. Infusing Science With Math
6. 5 Tech-Friendly Lessons to Encourage Higher-Order Thinking
7. New Teacher Survival Guide: The Parent-Teacher Conference
All Grades, All Subjects, Parents
MzTeachuh: Hey, Teach! Tweets of the Morning 10/4/12: I think that's the way it is for all of us. 1. Chicago Teachers Union Votes To Approve 3-Year Contract That Suspended Strike http:...
|I think that's the way it is for all of us.|
1. Chicago Teachers Union Votes To Approve 3-Year Contract That Suspended Strike
2. 5 Things Google Wants You To Know About World Teachers’ Day
3. How To Be the Best Teacher
Best Teaching Strategies
4. Accessible Instructional Materials for Students with LD: Important News for Families and Educators
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
MzTeachuh: No Bullying, More Character Tweets of the Day 10/...: We can build kids' character together. 1. October is Bullying Prevention Month! Stand Up For Our Children http://theeducatorsroom....
We can build kids' character together.
1. October is Bullying Prevention Month! Stand Up For Our Children
2. New Jersey Education Officials Report 12,024 School Bullying Instances In 2011-2012
3. Schools Cultivate the Character Development of their Students
4. How to Teach Character in the Classroom
5. WANTED: Hope in Action Throughout the Special Needs Community
5. Education chief wants textbooks to go digital
7. STEM to STEAM: Art in K-12 is Key to Building a Strong Economy
8. 'Won't Back Down' Inspiration: Struggling Desert Trails Elementary School In Adelanto Waging Bitter Fight, No Tidy Hollywood Ending
9. 5 Critical Mistakes Schools Make With iPads (And How To Correct Them)
10. Report Sees Less Impact in New Autism Definition
11. Steven Spielberg on unlocking 'tremendous mystery' of his dyslexia
MzTeachuh: Reflets dans l'eau--Reflections in the Water: Water Lilies, Monet There's more than one kind of relfection: thoughtful reflections are dynamic, too. Debussy, Reflets dans l'eau --...
MzTeachuh: Need A Chuckle? Try Barking Up This Tree: And so many other adorable costumes on dogs. 25 Dogs Who Can't Wait To Show Off Their Halloween Costumes http://www.buzzfeed.com/fran...
|And so many other adorable costumes on dogs.|
25 Dogs Who Can't Wait To Show Off Their Halloween Costumeshttp://www.buzzfeed.com/frankenweenie/25-dogs-who-cant-wait-to-show-off-their-halloween
MzTeachuh: Classrooms Around The World Tweets of the Morning ...: Taiwan, Ruei Fang Township, Kindergarten, Art Image courtesy Julian Germain Love the little dog smiling for the camera. 1. How Chi...
|Taiwan, Ruei Fang Township, Kindergarten, Art|
Image courtesy Julian Germain
Love the little dog smiling for the camera.
1. How Children Learn: Portraits of Classrooms Around the Worldby Maria Popova
A revealing lens on a system-phenomenon both global in reach and strikingly local in degree of diversity.
2. Blended Learning: We Are All New Teachers
3. New iPad App May Be The Future Of Collaborative Online Learning
4. Riding the Technology Wave
5. Learning Disabilities: Sorting Fact from Fiction (audio)
6.Chicago Teachers Union To Count Ballots On New Contract Following Strike
7. Educate The Educator: Michelle Obama, Jill Biden's New Initiative To Better Prepare Teachers For Instructing Military Kids
MzTeachuh: "Your Child Doesn’t Belong in My Classroom": Outstanding illustration (pardon the pun.) I am going to quote from a remarkably clear and direct article concerning students in Specia...
|Outstanding illustration (pardon the pun.)|
I am going to quote from a remarkably clear and direct article concerning students in Special Education. Parents and teachers, both, would benefit from giving thought to this analysis of what parents may believe teachers are saying.
"Your Child Doesn’t Belong in My Classroom"
by Doug Goldberg
Here are Mr. Golgberg's main points.
- "Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because the school will not provide the appropriate aides and supports necessary to educate your child;
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because I am not capable of educating your child;
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because I don’t want to take the time to differentiate my instruction and find the method that your child learns;
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because the District has increased my class size to 45 students and has not provided me with a paraprofessional to help lessen my load;
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because I don’t want to follow his IEP because it takes too much time and energy;
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because the School District refuses to spend money on children with special needs; and
- Your child doesn’t belong in my classroom because I am a bad teacher."
Parents need to empower themselves with knowledge, and if necessary, advocates. The law provides a Free and Appropriate Education for all children. Sadly, there are school sites that want to refuse the appropriate services.
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
MzTeachuh: Barbie Bungee Jumping And Much To Consider Tweets ...: Go, Barbie, Go! Having fun? In the classroom? 1. Experimenting with STEM: The Barbie Bungee Jump Grades 6-8, Math, Engineering h...
|Go, Barbie, Go!|
1. Experimenting with STEM: The Barbie Bungee JumpGrades 6-8, Math, Engineering
2. Kids Haven’t Changed; Kindergarten Has
New data support a return to “balance” in kindergarten
3. How Important is Grit in Student Achievement?
4. New York City Releases School Progress Reports, 217 At Risk Of Closing For Failing5. Presidential Candidates Should Debate Education
6. Chicago Teachers Vote Whether To Ratify Deal That Ended Strike
7. New Initiative Could Create Longer Days Of Learning
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/7788336-new-initiative-could-create-longer-days-of-learning/35 Ways To Build Your Personal Learning Network Onlinehttp://edudemic.com/2012/10/35-ways-build-personal-learning-network-online/
8. Arne Duncan Calls For Textbooks To Become Obsolete In Favor Of Digital9. On the Farm
10. Why American Students can't write
MzTeachuh: Opening Up The World Of Reading Tweets of the Morn...: Liking that boy's big smile. 1. First Book opening up a new world of reading http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2012/09/18/news/doc50...
|Liking that boy's big smile.|
1. First Book opening up a new world of reading
2. Deep Learning Isn’t about Technology
3. Why You Should Attend An Edcamp This Year
4. Free ebook! Dyslexia for Kids
5. Asthma Attack Care Tips So Learning Is Not Impacted
|Guide for not reading? Say it isn't so!|