Saturday, September 8, 2012
MzTeachuh: My Kid Is So Disorganized!: At home...and school. Whew! I'm not judging. This is me, anyway. Tidy people, get off your high horse. We 'creative' messy types tot...
|At home...and school. Whew!|
|I'm not judging. This is me, anyway.|
Tidy people, get off your high horse. We 'creative' messy types totally comprehend the benefits of organization. But it is not in the Law of Moses, or a moral flaw to be untidy. Its not even a handicap. But it can be an inconvenience.
Here are some suggestions:
1. Organizing Children's School Papers
2. Organize Kids Stuff
3. Back to School with a Backpack Station
4. Win the Battle of the Backpack: How to Organize Your Child's Bag
5. Simple ways to organize your child's backpack
6. How to Organize Your Desk at School
So much responsibility for parents and teachers right now: school start, elections, possible strikes, changes in standards. Wow.
|What about education, Mr. Romney and President Obama?|
Let's look at both sides.
1a. Romney's radical vision for education
His voucher plan could transform the way we organize and fund public schools.
1b.. Obama: America Can 'Out-Educate And Out-Compete' Any Country On Earth
Looking forward to the movie on the 28th.
2. Teacher's Rock Concert 2012 + Won't Back Down
No hable espanol?
3. Some Ga. Schools Make Mandarin Mandatory
Consequences. That's how--fun and not so fun.
4. How do you get reluctant learners to do their work?
Is this news to someone?
5. Recognizing the Parent Role in Character Education
The core is generalized, the problem comes when it is a specific school, teacher, class and student.
6. 8 Problems With the Common Core State Standards? I Don't Think So
Communication is vital; school to home: home to school
|Where's the supervision?|
Let's check it out.
2. Preschool Readiness
3. Districts Require E-Courses for Graduation
Not for Special Ed. kids.
3a. Could Cutting Special Ed. Spending Improve Student Achievement?
I'm an abuela, and I'm proud.
4. Great Books About Grandparents
Just to think about for those contemplating parenthood or teaching. (And I mean this about middle schoolers, too.)
|Happy Earth by Renee Lee|
Bach - Brandenburg Concertos No.3 - i: Allegro Moderato
Friday, September 7, 2012
MzTeachuh: Teachable Moment: The 7 Coolest Presidents: This is the writer's opinion and choices, but it still if kind of fun at this moment when emotions are very high entering the last six weeks...
This is the writer's opinion (from NPR) and choices, but it still is kind of fun at this moment when emotions are very high entering the last six weeks of the election campaign just to relax for a minute.
|Shades, and is that a Blackberry?|
The 7 Coolest Presidents In American History
I am not putting these pics in the order that the writer did; you'll have to read the article.
President Obama plays basketball, too.
|Yep, that's a saxophone.|
|Must've beeen the 'stach|
President Bill Clinton was the first candidate to go on late night television. Now it is common. At the time (1992), it was considered cool.
Teddy Roosevelt was so cool on so many levels, but the 'stache must have really been it.
|First TV debates--Kennedy on the left.|
John F. Kennedy was young, charismatic and many thought handsome like a movie star; especially when standing next to Nixon, who probably would have won the election if not for television.
|He chopped his own wood, too.|
Reagan had actually been a movie star before being elected. It is said he could put anyone at ease in his presence; and had a good sense of humor. The Irish gift of gab.
|Thomas Jefferson, you charming fellow.|
Jefferson brought ice cream, republicanism, and the democratic style handshakes to the White House, which, apparently, Americans thought all that very cool after stuffed shirts like Adams and Washington. And, from that painting, I'm thinking blue hair wasn't for old ladies at that time.
|FDR with friends.|
And another Roosevelt. The writer has other reasons than I do for including him. To overcome debilitating polio and encourage the world through a major economic depression and then WWII--wow, that's quite a man. And he had to deal with Churchill and Stalin as allies, Hitler as an enemy. That's amazing; and he says, "You have nothing to fear but fear itself." On December 7, be sure to listen to the recording of his address to Congress on American Rhetoric.
The writer had a runner-up, which I now include because this is such a great picture. George Bush.
|President George W. Bush dances with members of the KanKouran West African Dance Company during a Rose Garden event to mark Malaria Awareness Day at the White House on April 25, 2007.|
1. No deal yet to avert strike by Chicago Public Schools teachers
2. Chicago braces for first teacher strike in a generation
3. In Chicago, lifeline schools brace for strike
4. Chicago braces for possible teachers' strike -- its first in 25 years
5. Chicago braces for first teacher strike in a generation
MzTeachuh: Write a Novel! And Manage That Class And Tech Twee...: Who provides the technology? Edudemic has more homework for you. 1. 50 Education Technology Tools Every Teacher Should Know About ...
|Who provides the technology?|
Edudemic has more homework for you.
1. 50 Education Technology Tools Every Teacher Should Know About
Why can't we have both?
2. Gaithersburg Elementary School In Maryland Gets Rid Of Homework In Favor Of Reading Time
|The Great American Novel on the way!|
Hey, I'll read your great American novel!
3. National Novel Writing Monthhttp://www.nanowrimo.org/en
Asking the right questions is vital.
4. What should be my (our) guiding questions?
So our kids can write the great American novel.
|Who puts the 'i' in ibooks? I do.|
5. Writing: Helping Kids Get Off to the Write Start
I don't know the answer to this.
6. Whatever Happened To iBooks?!
This kind of non-verbal signal works well.
7. Thumbs Up! Signals to Encourage Active Listening
All Grades, All Subjects, Participation
|I have something to say (and feel safe to say it.)|
This is true, consistent classroom management truly helps learning go smoothly.
8. From Management to Engagement
MzTeachuh: International Literacy Day! Yippee!: Quick! Get a book in each of their hands! 1. International Literacy Day http://www.reading.org/general/conferences/InternationalLiter...
|Quick! Get a book in each of their hands!|
1. International Literacy Day
|Our local library is very lovable.|
2a. September Is Library Card Sign-up Month
2b. 60 Ways to Use Your Library Card
|Children's library, Ghana, Africa|
2c. Rediscover Your Public Library
2c 12 Ways Libraries Are Good for the Country
|Children's library, Alexandria, Egypt|
3. Library Card Sign-up Month is September.
|Children's library, Hong Kong|
4. September is Library Card Sign-up Month!
In Armenia, this is the Aunt Storyteller who dresses in different costumes.
|Children's library, Armenia|
I wonder what story this is with a tambourine/drum? Maybe an epic poem? A song to sing along? Maybe its about Anait who rescued her husband the King. Strong women in Armenia. I would really love to hear the story!
The library in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India, looks like the Jungle Book. Is that Mowgli reading over there?
|Children's library, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Children's library, Mexico City|
|Booker the Armadillo telling a story, Fort Worth, Texas|
|Best looking library ever--Kansas City. Wonder if they voted on which books to shelve?|
Lots of opportunities.
1. Helping Your 11th or 12th Grader with Career Preparation and “Fit”
I wanna go!
2. Game-Based School Opens Today In Los Angele
3. 100 Ways To Use iPads In Your Classroom
This looks so simple, but takes such relentless kindness and precision.
4a. Behavior Modification in the Classroom
- The problem must be defined, usually by count or description.
- Design a way to change the behavior.
- Identify an effective reinforcer.
- Apply the reinforcer consistently to shape or change behavior.
Along the same lines with a personal narrative.
4 b. Classroom Survival Tips & Strategies For The First Year Teacher!
This is brilliant.
4c. Retooling behavioral charts through the eyes of a kindergartner
|Brilliant Kindergartner devises behavior chart that's not depressing|
Thursday, September 6, 2012
|"I am the Good Shepherd. I know my own sheep and my own sheep know me." The Message Bible.|
Brazilians Got Talent 2011 - Amazing Grace - Jotta A - The Best Kids
MzTeachuh: New Movie About School! And Then There's Real Life...: Viola Davis and Maggie Gyllenhaal in the film Won't Back Down out September 28. Real life events in the film Won't Back Down . And a...
|Viola Davis and Maggie Gyllenhaal in the film Won't Back Down out September 28.|
Real life events in the film Won't Back Down. And also, the Adelanto school, Desert Trails, is going through the same thing right now.
Won't Back Down: 2 Moms Fight to Save a Failing School
Here is the most recent news about the trigger school in Adelanto.
1. As school starts, new questions in Adelanto charter fight
Adelanto school board approves an overhaul of failing school but rejects a charter, opening a new legal chapter in the ongoing controversy.
Other news this evening.
2. AD/HDWhat is Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD), and what does it have to do with learning disabilities (LD)? AD/HD and LD are not the same thing, but AD/HD certainly can interfere with learning and behavior. About one-third of people with LD have AD/HD. Clear up your confusion about the two often co-occurring disorders by accessing the information below.
3. Top 12 Classroom Fitness Activities
Resources and Downloads to Improve Student Performance
4. The Sad Reality Of Education Technology
5. Using Sentence Frames to Jumpstart Writing
Grades 3-5, ELA, ELL
6. What Teachers Need to Know About Action Research
MzTeachuh: Supervision Is The Name Of The Game Tweets 9/6/12: Parents, grandparents and school staff working together to supervise. Muy bien. Safe and successful schools? Supervision is the name of...
|Parents, grandparents and school staff working together to supervise. Muy bien.|
Safe and successful schools? Supervision is the name of the game. Where are the adults? (at school and at home?)
I wonder how long it had been going on before adults found out.
1. 'Lindbergh Fights' Videos Of School Fight Club Posted To YouTube, Facebook Ignite District Investigation
2. Back-to-school: What you need to know about bullying
3. How to teach your child about bullying
And now some joyful tweets about positive possibilities and planning.
4. NCFL, the national center for literacy education, and diverse organizations join together to share resources and expertise for free
5. Why September Can Be The Toughest Month For Working Mothers http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-rowley/why-september-can-be-the-cruelest-month-for-working-mothers-_b_1857990.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&ir=Fifty&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2291676,b=facebook
MzTeachuh: Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed Tweets of the Morning...: I'll finish this nut and then we'll be off. Stimulating info: let's go! 1. 9/11 Teaching Resources http://www.teachhub.com/septemb...
|I'll finish this nut and then we'll be off.|
Stimulating info: let's go!
1. 9/11 Teaching Resources
2. Pearson 'Education' -- Who Are These People?
3. Fit for Life: A Coach's Pep Talk
4. Student Journal Activities for All Subjects
5. Philadelphia Schools Start Using NFC Student ID Cards
6. Quick Images: Visualizing Number CombinationsGrade K, Math, Composition
MzTeachuh: MzTeachuh: That's A Lot To Take In! Tweets of the ...: MzTeachuh: That's A Lot To Take In! Tweets of the Day 9/5/12 : Say it isn't so! Advice for everyone, but my, my how can we assimilate it...
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
MzTeachuh: 'Won't Back Down' Movie About Trigger School Out 9...: Won't Back Down - Official Trailer HD (2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J5-w7a78Xg FOLLOW ON: https://www.facebook.com/megat...
Won't Back Down - Official Trailer HD (2012)
Won't Back Down
Release Date: September 28, 2012
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Daniel Barnz
Screenwriter: Brin Hill, Daniel Barnz
Starring: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Oscar Isaac, Holly Hunter, Rosie Perez, Lance Reddick, Emily Alyn Lind
MPAA Rating: PG (for thematic elements and language)
Official Website: https://www.facebook.com/WontBackDown
Summary: Two mothers from different backgrounds--a postal worker and a
reporter--join forces to take on a failing public school system and
institute a charter school for children in the neighborhood, including
This looks so interesting, I chose to give it extra attention. You can go to the site and find info. of your choice.
50 Best Back-to-School Articles for Parents
Here are the divisions of articles:
1. Learning & Achievement
2. Family Well-Being
3. Parent-Readiness and Engagement
4. Back-to-School Anxiety
5. Children with Special Needs, Abilities & Personalities
7. Youth Sports
9. Media & Technology